Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Audrey Cooks | Pesto Pasta Presto!

Hi, everyone! :) I don't think I've written about this here but recently our entire family has decided to go vegetarian (well, for the most part--mostly Wina & I have been doing this while everyone else minus Jo has gone on a no red meat diet). And I thought I'd share this recipe that  I came up with for pesto a few weeks ago. 

See, traditionally pesto is made by blending sweet basil, olive oil and garlic together. But I've found that the problem with that is the garlic becomes overpowering and it's difficult to gauge the proportions of the sauce so it becomes terribly imbalanced and just way too garlic-dominating. So I decided to put in some hard work and mince the garlic and sweet basil by hand to make this pesto dish. We also used whole grain fettuccine which I find goes better with pesto than a spaghetti noodle. This fed almost our entire household which is about 12 people.

The recipe is as follows:
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 pack of sweet basil
1 400 mg pack of whole grain fettuccine 
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (enough to cover pasta)
Cheese (parmesan/queso de bola)

Cook your pasta for 11 minutes; make sure the water is boiling before putting the pasta into the bowl. Remember to season by sprinkling olive oil and a bit of salt into the water before adding the pasta.

Mince the garlic and sweet basil until they are so tiny you can hardly hold one single piece in your hand.

Once the pasta is cooked, strain it and once the water has been disposed of, put the pasta back into the bowl/pan.

Pour enough olive oil to cover the pasta evenly (gauge this to taste).

Pour in the minced sweet basil and garlic, mix until evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper.

Add a bit of parmesan or queso de bola (whichever you prefer) on top of the pasta to add a little more contrast to the flavor.

And that's it! :) I hope you all enjoy cooking this at home! I'm planning to recreate this with tomatoes soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment